Citizen's Bond Oversight Committee
South Bay Union School District hosts a Citizens Bond Oversight Committee (CBOC) to review and oversee the use of Proposition X, Y, and Proposition NN voter approved funds as required by Proposition 39 and Section 15278 of the Education Code. This includes the VIP Preschool Rebuild and the Emory Academy Modernization.
We are seeking interested community members to join the CBOC in the Tax Association Representative and Community Member At-Large positions. If you are interested in applying, please complete the online application.
The CBOC performs the following duties:
- Informs the public concerning the District's expenditures of bond proceeds.
- Reviews expenditures to ensure that bond proceeds were expended only for the purposes set forth in the ballot measures.
- Presents reports to the Board of Trustees.
The Citizens Bond Oversight Committee meets three times per year (September, January, and May).
Citizen Oversight Committee Information:
- Members: Valerie Acevez (Business Organization), Beth Gillen (Senior Citizen Organization), Linda Porras (Parent Organization, with Current Student), Shane Hoffos (Parent with Current Student), and Vanessa Casterona (Community Member At-Large).
- Meeting Schedule: September 13, 2022 (to be rescheduled), January 10, 2023, and May 9, 2023.
- Contact Information
Citizen Oversight Committee Materials:
With 68.2% voter approval in the November 2018 General Election, Measure NN allowed the District to rebuild the VIP Preschool campus with $18 million in voter approved funds. The project also provided for increasing capacity at VIP by constructing new classrooms and facilities. VIP celebrated its Grand Opening on July 20, 2021.
Propositions X and Y
With 76.4% approval in the November 2008 General Election, Measure X, a $59.4 million General Obligation bond measure, provided funds to renovate and modernize classrooms, restrooms, and school facilities.
In the November 2012 General Election, $26 million of Measure X was reauthorized as Measure Y by 75.9% of voters.
- Central Elementary
- Emory Academy of Global Leadership and Empowerment
- Mendoza Elementary
- Bayside STEAM Academy
- Oneonta Elementary
- Sunnyslope Elementary
- Pence Elementary
- Nicoloff Elementary
- Imperial Beach Charter School
- Nestor Language Academy
- VIP Village
- Westview Elementary