Dear South Bay Community,
As we prepare for the start of school on August 31, District and site staff continue working on our Recovery/Reopening Plan. A revised Plan will be submitted to the Board of Trustees on August 20, 2020.
Registration for the upcoming school year continues online. Current families and those new to South Bay need to complete the registration process. If you have not already done so, we encourage you to complete the registration/enrollment process as soon as possible.
While we are still developing agreements in negotiations with our certificated and classified unions, we can share the following information for the 2020-2021 school year:
- As we are planning to be in a 100% distance learning format until January 4, 2021, Senate Bill 98 requires all students to participate in school. Attendance will be taken on a daily basis, and students not participating in distance learning will be counted as absent.
- We are excited to announce that each student will have their own technology device next year! Students in grades 4-8 will keep the device they were issued last year. Students in TK-2 will receive an iPad for use in distance learning and students in third grade will be issued a Chromebook. Learning devices and instructional materials will be distributed during the week of August 24. Please look for distribution information (date, time, location, etc.) from your school Principal. If you have a device which needs repair, please visit our technology team on Wednesdays from 9:00-3:00 at the District office (601 Elm Avenue in Imperial Beach). When you visit, please wear a mask, stay in your car, and our Technicians will help you.
- South Bay continues to partner with the Boys & Girls Club of Imperial Beach to operate the Extended Learning Program. While schools are in full distance learning, all Extended Learning options will be delivered virtually. If families are interested in this option, we ask that an Interest Form be completed online.
- Bulk meal distribution will continue every Monday from 11:00-1:00 at the District Warehouse (1111 Saturn Blvd. in San Diego). Effective August 31, meals will only be provided to South Bay families. A student ID card or registration letter with student name/school site will be required to receive meals. Additional food resources may be found at Feeding San Diego and the San Diego Food Bank.
- We recognize the tremendous toll the COVID-19 crisis has had on students, staff, and families. Per Senate Bill 98, the following supports will be in place as we start school: Daily social-emotional lessons; School Psychologist support; implementation of a Universal Screening Process for students in the area of social-emotional health; and the District Crisis Team will be available for outreach to individual students and families in need. In addition, the following are local resources available to families:
- The San Diego County Office of Education has created tips to support distance learning and Social and Emotional Strategies at Home for families.
- Live Well San Diego offers strategies and resources to stay healthy in both mind and body while staying at home.
- 2-1-1 San Diego connects people with social services, including housing and utilities; food assistance; enrollment services; military and veteran services; and health, social, and disaster services. Assistance is free, confidential, available 24/7, and offered in more than 200 languages.
Thank you for your support and understanding as we continue to navigate the impacts of the pandemic on our schools.
Dr. Katie McNamara, District Superintendent
Information on Food Services
Child Nutrition will continue meal distribution through the summer break. A weeks worth of breakfast and lunch meals will be distributed every Monday at the District Warehouse (1111 Saturn Blvd in San Diego) from 11:00-1:00. In order to receive meals you must have your children with you or provide proof of identity of your child in the form of a student ID, birth certificate or other document. We will accept copies or pictures of the identity documents.