Types of Absences
Types of AbsencesExcused AbsenceAn absence will be recorded as excused for the following reasons:
- Illness of student
- Medical/dental appointments. Parents are encouraged to schedule appointments after school hours.
- Quarantine under the direction of a county or city health officer.
- Funeral of immediate family (parent, grandparent, sibling) limited to 1 day in state, 3 days out of state
- Legal matters*
- Religious holidays or ceremony, not more than 4 hours per semester *
- Funeral ceremony other than immediate family *
- Unforeseen emergencies (i.e. natural disasters) will be handled on a case-by-case basis
- For the purpose of spending time with a member of the pupil’s immediate family, who is an active duty member of the uniformed services, as defined in EC§ 49701, and has been called to duty for, is on leave from, or has immediately returned from, deployment to a combat zone or combat support position. Absences granted pursuant to this paragraph shall be granted for a period of time to be determined at the discretion of the superintendent or designee
* Must be requested in writing by parent/guardian prior to absence and approved by district-designated official.Unexcused AbsenceA students absence will be recorded as unexcused for the following reasons:
Independent Study Contract
- Any absence other than those listed above as excused absence
If student will be absent from school a minimum of 5 days an Independent Study Contract may be signed. Such absences are considered unexcused unless Independent Study Contract is returned completed. Parents are encouraged to take family vacations during school breaks.
Excused- Students accumulating more than 10 excused absences are considered excessive and may be referred to SARB for truancy proceedings. (Ed Code 48260.5)
Unexcused Unexcused absences beyond 3 school days per school year are considered excessive and may be referred to SARB for truancy proceedings. (Ed Code 48260.5)