Duties of the School Site Council
The school site council of
· Obtain recommendations for, and review of, the proposed Single Plan for Student Achievement from all school advisory committees.
· Develop and approve the plan and related expenditures in accordance with all state and federal laws and regulations.
· Recommend the plan and expenditures to the governing board for approval.
· Provide ongoing review of the implementation of the plan with the principal, teachers, and other school staff members.
· Make modifications to the plan whenever the need arises.
· Submit the modified plan for governing board approval whenever a material change (as defined in district governing board policy) is made in planned activities or related expenditures.
· Annually, (and at each semester, trimester, etc.) evaluate the progress made toward school goals to raise the academic achievement of all students.
· Carry out all other duties assigned to the council by the SDUSD Board of Education and by state law.
Section A: Composition*
The council shall be composed of _12_ members, _6_ staff members and _6_ parent/community members selected by their peers, as follows:
_1_ principal (automatic member of the SSC as outlined in Ed code)
_4__ classroom teachers
_1_ other school staff members
_6_ parents or community members
Council members chosen to represent parents may be employees of the school district so long as they are not employed at this school.
* Elementary schools must have a minimum of ten (10) members.
Section B: Term of Office
Council members shall be elected for _2_ year terms. At the first regular meeting of the council, each members current term of office shall be recorded in the minutes of the meeting.
Section C: Voting Rights
Each member of the council is entitled to one vote and may cast that vote on any matter submitted to a vote of the council. Absentee ballots shall not be permitted.
Section D: Termination of Membership
The council may, by an affirmative vote of two-thirds of all its members, suspend or expel a member for the following reasons:
· The member can no longer uphold the duties for which they were elected
· The parent member and their child have moved to another school
· Unexcused absences from 3 consecutive meetings
Any elected member may terminate his or her membership by submitting a written letter of resignation to the council chairperson.
Section E: Transfer of Membership
Membership on the council may not be assigned or transferred.
Section F: Vacancy
Any vacancy on the council occurring during the term of a duly elected member shall be filled by: appointment by the peer group of the council for the period of time until the next regular election. If no peer group exists, a ballot election will ensue.
(The SSC should delineate its process for conducting annual elections)
2. Teacher ballot elections will be held by the end of the second week of school.
3. Parents and other staff nominations and ballot elections will be completed within the first month of the new school year.
4. A nominating committee composed of at least one parent, one teacher, and one other staff member will conduct the balloting process.
Section A: Officers
The officers of the council shall be a chairperson, vice-chairperson, secretary, and other officers the council may deem desirable.
The chairperson shall:
· Preside at all meetings of the council.
· Sign all letters, reports, and other communications of the council.
· Work with the principal to develop meeting agendas
· Perform all duties incident to the office of the chairperson.
· Have other such duties as are prescribed by the council.
The vice-chairperson shall:
· Represent the chairperson in assigned duties.
· Substitute for the chairperson in his/her absence.
The secretary shall:
· Keep minutes of all regular and special meetings of the council.
· Transmit true and correct copies of the minutes of such meetings to members of the council and to the following other persons: Administrative Secretary.
· Provide all notices in accordance with these bylaws.
· Be custodian of the records of the council.
· Keep a register of the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of each member of the council, the chairpersons of school advisory committees, and others with whom the council has regular dealings, as furnished by those persons.
· Perform other such duties as are assigned by the chairperson or the council.
Section B: Election and Terms of Office
The officers shall be elected annually, at the first meeting of the council, and shall serve for one year, or until each successor has been elected.
Section C: Removal of Officers
Any officer may be removed from office by a two-thirds vote of all the members.
Section D: Vacancy
A vacancy in any office shall be filled at by appointment unless a designated alternate has been elected by the appropriate peer group for the remaining portion of the term of office.
Section A: Sub-committees
The council may establish and abolish sub-committees of their own membership to perform duties as shall be prescribed by the council. At least one member representing teachers and one member representing parents shall make up the sub-committee. No sub-committee may exercise the authority of the council.
Section B: Other Standing and Special Committees
The council may establish and abolish standing or special committees with such composition and to perform such duties as shall be prescribed by the council. No such committee may exercise the authority of the council.
Section C: Terms of Office
The council shall determine the terms of office for members of a committee.
Section D: Rules
Each committee may adopt rules for its own government not inconsistent with these bylaws or rules adopted by the council, or policies of the district governing board.
Section E: Quorum
A majority (51% or greater) of the members of the committee shall constitute a quorum, unless otherwise determined by the council. The act of a majority of the members present shall be the act of the committee, provided a quorum is present.
Meetings of the Council
Section A: Meetings
The council shall meet regularly on the second Tuesday of each month. Special meetings of the council may be called by the chairperson or by a majority vote of the council.
Section B: Place of Meetings
The council shall hold its regular meetings at a facility provided by the school, unless such facility that is accessible to the public, including handicapped persons, is unavailable. Alternate meeting places may be determined by the chairperson or by majority vote of the council.
Section C: Notice of Meetings
Written public notice of all meetings shall be given at least 72 hours in advance of the meeting. Changes in the established date, time, or location shall be given special notice. All meetings shall be publicized in the following venues: school marquee, shadow box in front of cafeteria, and school website.
All required notices shall be delivered to council and committee members no less than 72 hours, and no more than 5 days in advance of the meeting, personally, or by mail (or e-mail).
Section D: Quorum
The act of the majority of the members present shall be the act of the council, provided a quorum is in attendance, and no decision may otherwise be attributed to the council. A majority of the members of the council (51% or greater) shall constitute a quorum.
Section E: Conduct of Meetings
Meetings of the council shall be conducted in accordance with the rules of order established by California Education Code Section 35147 (c) and with Roberts Rules of Order or an adaptation thereof approved by the council.
Section F: Meetings Open to the Public
All meetings of the council, and of committees established by the council, shall be open to the public. Notice of such meetings shall be provided in accordance with Section C of this article.
An amendment of these bylaws may be made at any regular meeting of the council by a vote of two-thirds of the members present. Written notice of the proposed amendment must be submitted to council members at least 5 business days prior to the meeting at which the amendment is to be considered for adoption.
Last Modified on September 30, 2008